Friday, April 17, 2015

Selfie Sticks

The more you watch the news, look on Facebook, or other social media networks, you notice the "selfie stick". If you don't know what that is, its a long stick/rod, that you clip your phone into to take picture.
I've been hearing a lot about this, some people say it totally defeats the purpose of a "selfie", others say it could help a lot to get the perfect angle for you Facebook worthy picture.
In the most recent news article that I've read on Fox News, "Churchill Downs bans selfie sticks for Kentucky Derby", It states that not only did the runner of the Kentucky Derby ban the selfie stick, Coachella, Lollapalooza, the Yankee Stadium and Museums did too.
In this article, the Kentucky Derby banned the selfie sticks for the "safety of their horses". I imagine Coachella, Lollapalooza, and Yankee stadium banned them for the safety of the people, and Museums for the safety of their artifacts.
 Do you think they should ban them? do you think the "selfie stick" defeats the purpose of selfies?
In my opinion, I think it defeats the purpose. I think it does because, a selfie to me, is an up close just you, picture.
People claim that the whole point of the selfie stick is to get a better angle on your pictures, but why not just ask someone?
The editor of this article claims that he/she doesn't think the banning of the selfie stick will cause much controversy because its still "up and coming" not everyone knows a lot about them yet. Like myself, I didn't know anything about them until I was recommended to do a blog on it, so I researched it more. I honestly feel like their pointless, but everyone has their own opinion.
I'm sure we'll be seeing them more and more this summer and when more people become aware of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment